Ted Chien is the CEO and President of Sullivan, Cotter and Associates, Inc. Most recently, he was a Senior Vice President of Corporate Client Relationships within UnitedHealth Group, working with strategic corporate accounts and business-to-business relationships. Prior to that role, he was an Executive Vice President at Ingenix and the CEO of Ingenix Consulting, a strategic business group within that firm. Previously, Ted held positions with Watson Wyatt Worldwide as Global Director for the Group and Health Care Practice, the Managing Consultant for the Minneapolis office, the Group and Health Care National Leader for Thought Leadership and Innovation, the Group and Health Care Practice Leader for the Midwest region, and the Manager for the Minneapolis Administrative Systems Practice.
Ted has more than 25 years of consulting experience in the area of strategic planning within the human resources, benefits and health care fields. His areas of expertise include plan design, funding, administration, compliance and communication of programs with an emphasis on employee benefits and health care. Specifically, Ted’s projects encompass working with employers, payers and providers in the following areas:
- Managing and conducting cost-benefit analyses, benchmarking, business process, re-engineering, gap analyses and other measurement activities, all in conjunction with strategic planning initiatives.
- Working with health care clients, including direct involvement with network contracting and business planning, assisting health plans in product development, evolving consumer transparency strategies, analyzing utilization data, developing RHIO strategies and assessing administrative solutions through the use of technology to create greater efficiencies.
- Managing mergers, including the acquisition of businesses as well as leading integration teams once businesses have been acquired from the buy side.
- Working with the National Health Service (NHS), specifically with primary care trusts, on health information strategies and financial analysis and design.
- Assisting in the development of information system strategies to better link providers and purchasers of health care services.
As a frequent speaker on health care, Ted’s topics range from health informatics, consumer transparency and business model development to employee engagement and health policy.
Ted holds a Bachelor of Science in mathematics and computer science from the University of Illinois, and a Master of Business Administration from the University of St. Thomas. He has served, or serves on, the Board of the Minnesota’s Private Colleges Council, Presbyterian Homes and Services Board, HighRoads Advisory Board and the AAPPO and NASHO Boards.