Principal and Office Leader
David Cohn is a Principal at Sullivan, Cotter and Associates, Inc. Prior to joining the Firm, he was a Senior Retirement Consultant and Actuary with Buck Consultants, PricewaterhouseCoopers and Towers Perrin. With more than 18 years of consulting experience, he has worked with a wide variety of for-profit and not-for-profit employers, with an emphasis on not-for-profit health care organizations.
David’s experience includes the following:
- Working with boards and compensation committees regarding the governance and due diligence processes for the review of executive compensation.
- Educating boards, compensation committees and executives on regulations and market trends affecting executive compensation and benefits.
- Preparing formal opinion letters regarding the reasonableness of compensation provided to disqualified persons of not-for-profit 501(c)(3) and (c)(4) organizations (i.e., rebuttable presumption of reasonableness).
- Designing executive benefits strategies and programs, including retirement income and deferred compensation plans, to enable for-profit and not-for-profit organizations to provide market-competitive levels of benefits and to recruit and retain key executives.
- Implementing executive benefits and retirement programs, including the coordination with Clients’ auditors and outside counsel (and other external advisers), plan document review, development of executive communications and consulting on plan administration, reporting and funding issues.
- Providing ongoing support for executive retirement programs, including executive and retirement statements, actuarial benefit calculations and compliance with applicable regulations and tax law.
- Conducting special retirement and actuarial projects, including pension plan redesigns, mergers and spinoffs and Web-based pension modelers.
David has a Master of Actuarial Science degree from Georgia State University. He received his Bachelor of Science in business administration from the University of Florida. He is a member of the Society of Actuaries and the American Academy of Actuaries. In addition, David is certified to perform actuarial services by the Joint Board for the Enrollment of Actuaries.