David K. Birnbaum
Principal and Office Leader
David Birnbaum is a Principal at Sullivan, Cotter and Associates, Inc. Prior to joining the Firm, David served as Vice President of Global Compensation and Benefits at Avaya and IAC, where he was responsible for all compensation and benefits programs, payroll and HRIS. David has also served in leadership roles with other global consultancies, including Deloitte & Touche, Clark Consulting and KPMG.
With over 23 years of executive compensation, broad-based compensation and benefits consulting experience, David excels at designing annual and long-term incentive plans, supporting mergers and acquisitions and driving strategic initiatives. A sample of David’s accomplishments includes the following:
- Formulated and implemented business strategies, processes and controls that built corporate value and drove organizational growth.
- Served as corporate liaison to several compensation committees, including a large health care group purchasing organization.
- Designed annual bonus programs, including redesign and implementation of a new performance management program.
- Developed global compensation and benefits plans, including country-specific salary structure, annual bonus plan (including performance management) and L-T programs.
- Designed a new company-wide equity program to include performance measures previously never considered.
- Oversaw all benefits programs for an organization of approximately 25,000 employees, including annual enrollment, plan maintenance and communication.
- Provided business development and consulting services to a start-up benefits organization.
David has a Bachelor of Science in biology from Syracuse University and a Master of Business Administration in accounting from Baruch College at the City University of New York. Additionally, David is a board member of the American Benefits Council.